Visa Information


All visitors to Australia need a visa. Visa application forms are available from Australian diplomatic missions overseas, travel agents or Department of Home Affairs. Residents of Canada, USA, many European countries and some Asian countries can apply online.


Many European passport holders are eligible for an eVisitor visa, which is free and allows visitors to stay in Australia for up to three months. eVisitors must be applied for online and they are electronically stored and linked to individual passport numbers, so no stamp in your passport is required. It’s advisable to apply at least 14 days prior to the proposed date of travel to Australia. Applications are made on the Department of Home Affairs.

Electronic Travel Authority (ETA)

Passport holders from eight countries that aren’t part of the eVisitor scheme – Brunei, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea and the USA – can apply for either a visitor or business ETA. ETAs are valid for 12 months, and allow stays of up to three months on each visit. Apply online at Department of Home Affairs.

Tourist Visa

Short-term tourist visas have largely been replaced by the eVisitor and ETA. However, if you are from a country not covered by either, or you want to stay longer than three months, you’ll need to apply for a visa. Tourist visas cost from $145 and allow single or multiple entry for stays of three, six or 12 months and are valid for use within 12 months of issue.

Visa Extension

If you want to stay in Australia for longer than your visa allows, you’ll need to apply for a new visa (usually a tourist visa 600) through Department of Home Affairs. Apply at least two or three weeks before your visa expires.