Advances in Virtual Power Plant: Modelling, Optimization, and Implementation
Technical Outline of the Session and Topics:
Distributed energy resources (DERs) consisting of distributed generators, energy storage systems and flexible loads can be aggregated to form a virtual power plant (VPP). The VPP can provide clean and affordable peak power generation and efficient frequency/voltage control services for grid, while participating in the wholesale and ancillary services markets.
However, emerging issues, such as lack of coordinating multiple DERs, low efficiency in ancillary services and energy trading, high uncertainties of renewable power generation and energy price, as well as practical implementation challenges, occurs. It is imperative to address these issues, thus advancing development of VPP.
This special session aims to present the state-of-the-art research works on VPP development with advanced methods of modelling, optimization, and implementation.
Topics of this special session include but are not limited to:
- VPP operation model coordinating various DERs including PVs, wind turbines, batteries, electric vehicles, and controllable loads.
- VPP function to provide frequency/voltage control services for grid.
- Transactive energy/peer-to-peer energy trading model for VPP.
- Optimization methods to address high uncertainties of renewable power generation, loads and energy price.
- Data-driven and machine learning approaches for VPP operation.
- Application of distributed algorithm, cloud and edge computing technique to VPP operation.
- Enhanced wide-area monitoring, communication architecture, remote control technology and digitalization for VPP implementation.